With the release of our new app WeSwap 2.0 and launch of our new WeSwap cards issued by Monavate. At midnight on the 31st August 2021, all existing WeSwap cards and accounts will stop working.
Here’s everything you need to know so you can start using the new app, order your new card and get ready for your first holiday with WeSwap 2.0.
I’m going on holiday before August 31st - should I download the new app?
- You can request your new card now and it should arrive within 3-5 working days. If that works for your holiday dates, when you receive the GO live email with the link of the new app just download it and follow the instructions. Once your address is verified, You will be able to request the new card from the card tab in the app.
- Please note once you’ve downloaded the new app you’ll be asked to agree to new T&Cs, and verify your address, your existing WeSwap card and account will stop working within 24 hours.
If that doesn’t work, you can continue using your existing WeSwap card until 11.59pm on the 31st August 2021. There’s more on this below.
I’m already abroad, don’t have time to wait for the new card or will be on holiday over and beyond August 31st - what should I do?
You have two options here:
- You can continue using your existing card until 11:59pm on the 31st August 2021. Just remember it will completely stop working once the clock strikes twelve. You can then get the new app and request a new card when you get home.
If you still have money in your existing account after the 31st August 2021, this remains as safe as ever. It’ll be kept in a segregated account with IDT Financial Services and you can request a free refund from them. Read how below.
- You can also request for a new card to be shipped out to you on holiday. Read how below.
Can I get my WeSwap card sent abroad?
You can but only in emergencies and there’s a few things you need to know.
- Make sure you contact us before requesting your new card as once you do your old card will stop working.
- There will be a charge for shipping your card and this can range from £10 to £30 depending on where you are and how it’s delivered.
- We can deliver to most places but there are a few we just aren’t able to, so make sure to talk to us first.
- To ship your card abroad, we’ll need to verify the address you are staying at. We’ll need proof of accommodation such as:
- Hotel booking
- Airbnb confirmation
- if you are renting a house - a utility bill
- if you own a holiday home - a bank statement.
If you want to get a new card shipped abroad contact us once you downloaded the new app and verified your details.
Will my money be transferred to the new card?
Yes, any money in your account will be transferred to your new one within 3-5 days.
Just be aware that as soon as you download the new app, your existing card and app will stop working within 24 hours and you’ll be unable to access your money until it arrives in your new account.
Will my bank transfer loading details be the same?
Your details will change as we have a new issuer. So make sure you update your new WeSwap account details for any bank transfers, direct debits or standing orders you currently have set up to pay into your old WeSwap account.
You'll find these details in the new app under LOAD.
Will I need to save my debit card again in the new app?
Yes, unfortunately. We’re unable to move your card details over to the new app.
Will the fees and spending limits be the same with the new card and app?
We’ve increased the annual spending limit to £50,000, our ATM fee will be as follows: withdraw up to £200 a month free of charge. After that a 2% fee applies. The Swap fee will be 2.49%.
You can review here our Fees and Limits.
What happens to my money if I don’t set up a new WeSwap account by the 31st August 2021 and how do I get a refund?
Once your existing WeSwap account has been closed on the 31st August 2021, any remaining funds will be kept secure in a segregated account held by our previous issuing bank IDT Financial Services.
You can get a full refund free of charge for up to six years. Any money will be refunded in GBP, even if the money in your account was stored in a different currency wallet. If the money needs to be converted back to GBP, you won’t be charged for this.
To arrange a free refund to your regular bank account, email firstname.lastname@example.org from your WeSwap registered email address with the following details:
- Account holder name
- Refund amount
- The name of your bank (e.g. Barclays)
- Bank sort code
- Bank account number
- a PDF version of your current account bank statement, not older than 3 months, where your name and address details can be verified along with account details (account number and sort code, name of the bank)
What happens if I no longer need my WeSwap account?
If there’s no money in your account, you don’t need to do anything.
Your account will be closed at midnight on the 31st of August 2021. Please safely dispose of your WeSwap card in a responsible way. Thanks so much for being part of the WeSwap community.
If you have funds, please follow the refund process above so that your funds may be returned to you.
Which currencies can I spend and swap in?
You can spend in over 150 currencies worldwide – so pretty much all of them. Plus, you can hold and swap in up to 33 currencies, all in their own in-app wallets. These are:
|Australian Dollar (AUD)||Israeli Shekel (ILS)||Saudi Riyal (SAR)|
|Bahrain Dinar (BHD)||Japanese Yen (JPY)||Singapore Dollar (SGD)|
|Bulgarian Lev (BGN)||Kenyan Shilling (KES)||South African Rand (ZAR)|
|Canadian Dollar (CAD)||Kuwait Dinar (KWD)||Swedish Krona (SEK)|
|Chinese Yuan (CNY)||Mexican Peso (MXN)||Swiss franc (CHF)|
|Croatian Kuna (HRK)||New Zealand Dollar (NZD)||Thai Baht (THB)|
|Czech Koruna (CZK)||Norwegian Krone (NOK)||Turkish Lira (TRY)|
|Danish Krone (DKK)||Omani Rial (OMR)||Ugandan Shilling (UGX)|
|Euro (EUR)||Polish Zloty (PLN)||UK Sterling (GBP)|
|Hong Kong Dollar (HKD)||Qatar Rial (QAR)||United Arab Emirates Dirham (AED)|
|Hungarian Forint (HUF)||Romanian Leu (RON)||US Dollar (USD)|
Will there be a web version of the app?
For now, we aren’t offering a web version of the WeSwap app.
But this is just the beginning for WeSwap 2.0 and we are looking at a web version further down the line. However, it will most likely just show balances and spending and you won’t be able to offer swaps.
WeSwap is made to be used on the move, to help you stress less and travel happier so we’ve decided to put all our energy into the app.
As well as all the exciting features that come with it like bill splitting and money transfers, the mobile app has a number of benefits over the online version.
- Extra security via strong customer authentication.
- Instant push notifications whenever you use your card or receive money into your account.
- In app chat with WeSwap customer support.
- Easy access to promotional offers and the WeSwap blog.
You can download the app in a tablet, there the application will not be fully optimised: meaning you will be able to use most if not all the features however they will be sized for a smartphone”
Why was I asked to enter my name, number and email?
This will only happen if the number you entered doesn’t match the one we have on file for you. You’ll need to go back and enter the correct number.
If you’ve changed numbers, please fill in the requested details and then contact customer service here below.